Few people, passing regularly back and forth the busy Binstead Road realise that a house is hidden behind the tree.
Stonelands stands on the site of a much older building, possibly the original quarry masters home, as far back as 1100. In 1686, the first named resident of the site appears, and the cottages, probably standing in the mid 1700's, clearly marked on a map of the area dated 1802, survived to be incorporated into Stonelands House sometime in the 1820's.
Although the house is Victorian in parts, Stonelands was built around 2 pre exsisting cottages from the 18th century which appear on a map dated 1802. These cottages were incoporated into Stonelands House.
Stonelands became the home of Knight Admiral Sir William Loring born 1813, the second son of of Knight Admiral John Wentworth Loring born 1775 and his wife Anna Patten. Both John and William had long, distinguished naval careers. William was knighted by Queen Victoria in 1875. He died in 1895 and is buried in nearby Binstead Cemetary, wuth other family members.
Princess Beatrice, youngest daughter of Queen Victoria, married Prince Henry of Battenburg in 1885. Members of the Russian Royal family, who had arrived for the wedding, stayed at Stoneland's House. Princess Beatrice came to Stonelands to personally thank her wedding guests. Sir William Loring's wife, Louisa succeeded him byalmost 30 years and passed away in 1924.
In the trade census of 1933, we find Stephen Canning- Day as the next owner of Stoneland's House. He designed the Ragstone Cenotaph, which was constructed by his firm, Daniel Day and Sons of Bonchurch. It was unveiled by Princess Beatrice. Canning -Day died in 1945.
In 1950, Stonelands became the home of a surgeon, Doctor Gordon Walker. He was surgeon to the Isle of Wight prisons, and fundraiser for the police convalescent and rehabilitation trust. He held the title of High Sherriff and was a prominent figure establishing convalescent homes throughout the South of England, and set up the Abdulla Fuad Hospital in Saudi Arabia, where he stayed for one year, before returning to England to teach Surgery. Doctor Walker died in 2004.
Originally surrounded by ten acres of gardens and farmland, which were ruthlessly sold off in the twentieth century, causing much heartbreak, Stonelands came perilously close to being the victim of developers.
The project never went ahead and in 2005, Stonelands became the home of independent Councillor, Philip Jordan, and in 2015, it was sold to the present owners.
Today it stands in a smaller plot; a reminder of quieter, more gracious times. A house that still holds keys to a long forgotten past. A time when servants and gardeners were numerous and served the noteworthy families who resided here. Their stories linger through the memories they recorded of life at Stonelands, which we were thrilled to obtain and will happily share with our visitors.